Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Child Obesity

Obesity in childhood is become serious issue. Unlike with the past, most children prefer to play game on the internet and watch tv at home to do some outdoor activities.
Moreover, they really like having fast food rather than healthy food. According to the article I linked, it is said that childhood obesity causes Diabetes risk. I was surprised by this because I thought Diabetes is only for adult. I have a young brother who is 7. He also really likes having fast food or pizza something like this rather than Korean food. Although my mum does know it’s not good for him, she was just happy to see him having food. I think children can control them by themselves, parents should care and control what they eat and encourage them to do some exercise.

5 comments:

christel said...

Hi guys,

Have u noticed though that in many cases the kids are obese because the parents are obese? Eating habits within a home are followed by all members. I personally tried to get my kids to drink lots of water since they were babies - but as adolescents they drink fizzy drinks when they feel thirsty. An uphill battle!

Kirsty said...

Hi Christel, i think you are a really good mum. i hope every mum does as you did for your children.
Yeah, i heard about that kids who have a obese parents usually are obese because of eating habit as well as the same life style as their parents. I totally agree with this. When they were young they don't have a choise what they ate. They just ate what their parents gave them. I think that's why children just atomatically followe their parents' eating habit. Therefore, parents have huge responsibilities for their children.

christel said...

Hi Kirsty,

fomcl!! Ur kidding, girl! There is no such thing as a good parent int he eyes of an adolescent - my kids sometimes think i'm a witch!

Nevertheless, Jan blogs on child abuse and i think teaching kids bad eating habits could also be regarded as abuse. Do u think an obese adult can sue his parents for damage?

Kirsty said...

Haha.. That's interesting question. But i don't thinks so.
When i was young, my dad kept telling me that i should do excercise but i didn't. i think every parents let them become obese on purpose. If children sue because of that, that's so mean and sad..

adnan said...

child obesity is a very sad phenomenon as kids can be really mean to one another, and that could scar them for life, and decrease their levels of confidence and prevent them from enjoying their childhood, i was a chubby kid, but lucky for me i was always the bully so i never got picked on haha